Juvenile Delinquency

California Juvenile Delinquency Law

The arrest of a person under the age of 18 means that person is subject to an area of the law known as juvenile delinquency, a specialized criminal justice forum designed to address juvenile crime. All too often, good kids make bad decisons. When that happens, it is imperative that your first step as a caring and concerned parent or guardian is to secure legal representation from an experienced juvenile attorney well-versed in juvenile law and dedicated to protecting the best interests of your child.

Once a juvenile has been arrested, the arresting officer has two options. One option is to release the minor to his or her parents. The second option is to take the minor to juvenile hall. If a child is taken to juvenile hall, a determination will be made by the Probation Department to either hold the minor at juvenile hall pending a court appearance or to arrange for the release of the minor and setting a future court date. Minors are commonly released to their parents or guardians on less serious offenses.

While the crimes for which juveniles can be arrested are usually identical to adult crimes, the juvenile justice system provides a separate framework and different penalties. For instance, juveniles cannot be released on bail, juvenile cases may be heard by either a judge or a commissioner, and juveniles generally have no right to a jury trial. Please note however that the law does allow juveniles charged certain offenses involving violence, sexual assault, gang activity and the use of weapons to be tried as adults.

There are a myriad of possible consequences for juvenile offenders. While juveniles may be charged with misdemeanor or felony  offenses and the possible sanctions range from diversion or informal probation to placement in a juvenile correctional facility, seasonsed counsel will work to ensure the best possible outcome for your child. 

Given the serious consequences possible in a juvenile case, protect your child with qualified experienced legal representation.

Contact Mr. Shallberg at (831) 535-2363 or via Email.